Thursday, January 6, 2011

Some Work on a Old Project

I've been working on this old project for a few months. This is how it looked when I dropped it more than a year ago. I really liked how the face was coming along, but I hated how the body looked.

The figure looked hunched, with a too large head. Maybe the problems weren't really that bad, but it wasn't what I had in mind.

I knew the problem began with my less than ideal reference pictures. I had stitched together two images in Photoshop, a low res screen capture for the head shot composited onto a male body in a relaxed pose. Unfortunately what wasn't apparent to me in the composite, jumps out in the sketch. I guess these are the perils of relying too much on Photoshop :-)

I erased and redrew the figure many times trying to capture the look I wanted. I didn't have any luck until I finally talked my husband into a modeling session and tried to recreate the pose I wanted.

With the new reference images in hand I finally got a sketch I could live with. I have definitely abused this Canson Mi-Tientes paper very much in the process, but it seems to be holding up. This is what it looks like now. I'm excited about it again and I'm moving ahead.

Click on the SAM label to see previous posts on this piece.